The objective of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee is to promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive association. In September 2018, the ALGA Board of Directors approved the DEI Committee’s vision statement:
ALGA recognizes and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) as inherent parts of its culture that contribute to its organizational strength.
At the September 2018 board meeting, the board approved the following definitions:
- Diversity: The condition that represents ALGA through different elements, which include, but are not limited to type of organization, region and shop size, age, experience, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, and disability.
Equity: A proactive approach to improve outcomes for all, free from historical bias or favoritism that recognizes structural differences and burdens.
- Inclusion: Embracing diversity and welcoming all through extended access and opportunities.
Responsibilities & Accomplishments
Since the DEI Committee’s inception in April 2018, we have made significant progress toward our vision. The DEI Committee’s responsibilities and recent accomplishments include but are not limited to:
- Developing, maintaining, and periodically reassessing an association-wide nondiscrimination policy, a DEI strategic work plan, and goals for board approval that will drive positive DEI outcomes across ALGA. We developed ALGA’s Nondiscrimination Policy, which the board approved in September 2018. At a DEI Committee retreat, we developed a multi-year task list with specific activities to advance DEI. We also participated in the development of ALGA’s draft new strategic plan, mission, and vision, which now include the advancement of DEI in ALGA.
- Designing and implementing a methodology to create baseline ALGA membership diversity data to measure progress while protecting members’ privacy.
- Working with ALGA committees to fill committee positions and speaker opportunities with members that enhance or meet diversity, equity, and inclusion goals. We worked with ALGA committees on surveys to help ensure conference speakers and ALGA leadership reflect ALGA’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Supporting the ALGA board and ALGA committees in understanding and furthering DEI goals related to their responsibilities. We designated a DEI committee member to serve as a DEI liaison and resource to each ALGA committee (see DEI liaison assignments below).
- Providing education on DEI issues to ALGA members. We increased DEI awareness during the 2019 ALGA annual conference and sought a more inclusive conference by offering participants pronoun stickers and gender-neutral bathrooms. We also established a forum on ALGA’s website for members to discuss and explore DEI topics. And, we are featuring audits with DEI issues in ALGA's monthly newsletter and publishing DEI-related articles written by committee members in ALGA's quarterly newsletters.
You can find DEI resources here.